Re: 9i RAC External shared hard disks

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 08:24:29 +1000

"Jack" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message news:beRwa.109$FC2.184837_at_news1.telusplanet.net...
> To summarize what I got from you and Howard so far.
>
> 1. No vmware is required if you have a spare disk with NO partition on it,
> in which case the whole disk space (80G) will be your shared disk size for
> RAC. If you don't want the whole 80G disk space to dedicate to RAC, you
can
> use Partition Magic to resize/shrink the "shared disk" and make room for
> creating subsequent partitions after RAC install and config. With vmware,
> you are able to specify the size of your shared disk at the first place
> (i.e., before RAC install).

I think that's exactly the right summary.

You might just want to wait for Connor to come back and confirm that he carved his CFS disk from the physical hard disk first, installed RAC, and then added other partitions to the disk...

> 2. vmware would still be required in that a virtual OS (guest OS) will be
> installed, even for a singlenode with multi instances RAC. We are not
going
> to play RAC with our host OS, right?

Depends. Do you want to make it look like you have two machines, or are you after simply having two instances that talk to each other, and co-ordinate things in exactly the way they would do in a genuine RAC? That is, do you want 'multi-node RAC' or 'multi-instance RAC'? If you are happy with multi-instance RAC, then you don't need VMware at all. You do it all on your host O/S, and just create two instances to access the one database on the shared drive.

I happen to be building yet another PC this afternoon, and will be doing (or trying to do) exactly that. I'll let you know.

Regards
HJR