Re: reduce archive logs

From: michael ngong <mngong_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 May 2003 10:37:57 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<p2u4cvotushj6shbo00il4bhnobl40gljr_at_4ax.com>...
> On 14 May 2003 08:40:24 -0700, oldcar_at_hotmail.com (bcjm) wrote:
>
> >8.1.6 running Windows NT,
> >
> >We have a intranet site done in Cold Fusion using Oracle 8.1.6 as its
> >data source. The CF client/session variable data (CDATA, CGLOBAL) are
> >stored in the Oracle database as well. CF server updates/insert
> >records in these tables when user access the site. It generates more
> >than 100MB archive log daily. I like to eliminate the logs generated
> >by these two tables if possible to save space and improve performance.
> >I really don't need the data in these tables if I need to restore the
> >database.

Inserts updates and deletes will always generate redo.After you read the documentation from Oracle you should be able to decide hopefully whether disabling redo is a route you want to take

Oracle8 Server SQL Reference

In NOLOGGING mode, data is modified with minimal logging (to mark new extents INVALID and to record dictionary changes). When applied during media recovery, the extent invalidation records mark a range of blocks as
logically corrupt, because the redo data is not fully logged. Therefore, if
you cannot afford to lose this table, you should take a backup after the
NOLOGGING operation.

The size of a redo log generated for an operation in NOLOGGING mode is significantly smaller than the log generated with the LOGGING attribute
set.

If the database is run in ARCHIVELOG mode, media recovery from a backup
taken before the LOGGING operation restores the table. However, media recovery from a backup taken before (AFTER)the NOLOGGING operation does not
restore the table.

The last line should be after not before

Michael Tubuo Ngong Received on Thu May 15 2003 - 12:37:57 CDT