Re: 9i RAC External shared hard disks

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:55:20 +0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Jack wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am planning to install 9i RAC on two test machine. Are external shared
> > > hard disks mandatory? Can one disk on one of the machine act as "shared
> hard
> > > disks"? Do shared hard disks have to be external? I just want to know if
> > > can make use of the internal IDE disk to test drive RAC on my home PC.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Head over to www.OakTable.net for some articles on the subject. They
> > talk about using VMWare to set up virtual disk systems, but if you have
> > spare unpartitioned space you can skip that step as well
>
> Only in Linux, Connor, I believe. With Windows, it is not enough to have a
> spare unpartitioned bit of a disk: the Cluster Services installer refuses to
> recognise it as useable by the cluster.
>
> However, in Windows, if you happen to have an entire spare physical drive
> lying around, with not a whif of a partition on it anywhere, then yes it can
> be done.
>
> (In other words, if you have a 20GB hard disk, and it contains a 1GB
> partition of any sort, then you can't use it for pretend-RACing. But if that
> 20GB disk is entirely empty, then you can persuade the Cluster Services
> installer to see it as a shareable drive).
>
> No doubt, you could 'tailor' the relevant installer to do your bidding, too.
> But it's too tricky for me to have pulled it off as yet.
>
> Regards
> HJR
I'm pretty sure that as long as CFS is at the 'front' of the spare disk you're OK. In may case its currently the whole 120G second drive, but I'm pretty sure I started with just a 10G CFS, with the remaining 110G used under standard NTFS (but not for the rac obviosuly)

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"