Re: 9i RAC External shared hard disks

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:53:15 +0800

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> [snip]
>
> Pretty much so. I'm running "RAC" at home on a single desktop as
> > follows:
> >
> > 400Mhz machine (no laughing please)
> > 512M ram
> > 1 x 60G disk - OS, software, normal windows stuff
> > 1 x 120G disk - formatted with Oracle cluster file system
> >

> Ah... thought so (I think!!)... so what you're saying is that the 120GB
> drive is entirely dedicated to the CFS? That it had no prior partitions on
> it?
>
> See my other post: that's my understanding of the minimum requirements too.
>
> > then you pretty much just follow the instructions as per the docs on
> > oaktable.net. As long as you have spare disk space for the cluster file
> > system, you won't need to use VMWare.
>
> Again: let's clarify. It's not just spare disk space, but a spare disk that
> you need.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> > hth
> > connor
> > --
> > Connor McDonald
> > http://www.oracledba.co.uk
> >
> > "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

spare disk space is pretty much equivalent to spare disk - a little tweak here and there with partition magic and voila! you've got a spare disk partition. Or the cheeky way (if you dont wanna spend on Partition Magic) is to boot off a linux CD, tell it to resize the existing partitions to reclaim some space, and then abort the install :-)

cheers
connor

--