Re: How Many CPUS??

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 14:26:42 GMT

"Rahul" <rahul_ocp8i_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:f8af2f95.0305150601.2acd169d_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi everybody,
>
> One simple question. Lets say, if i have 8 cpus on my server, how can
> i check if i am utilizing all the cpus and how will i benefit if I add
> more cpus on the server.
>

> Thanks.

It will use all the CPUs in the machine. Adding another CPU does not mean that an individual query will execute faster. Adding more CPUs usually means you can handle more sessions at the same time. (scalability) To know if you would benefit from more CPUs you need to ascertain what resource on the server is the bottleneck? Is it IO or CPU or what? Are all the CPUs busy all the time? What is the processor Queue length ? If it is 0 then adding more CPUs is probably not going to do much for you. You need to analyze where your bottleneck is. Without knowing that then it is impossible to say what would help.
Jim Received on Thu May 15 2003 - 09:26:42 CDT