Re: Taking tablespace and datafiles offline

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:24:17 +1000

"Peter" <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote in message news:06f6cv4mdhv9vug5o13gjf5t945dkf1qrn_at_4ax.com...
> If I take a tablespace offline, are the datafiles inside it also taken
> offline at the same time?

Yes. All the datafiles are offlined when the tablespace is offlined.

> The other way around, if I take all the datafiles of a tablespace
> offline, is the tablespace technically taken offline?

Absolutely not! This is one of the reasons multi-file tablespaces are a better management option than their single-monolithic-equivalent-in-size cousins. You can offline a single datafile, and the rest of the tablespace remains open for business (selects and DML). If the bit of data you want to access happens to be stored on the offlined datafile, then tough.... but otherwise, it would be business as usual, and no inconvenience to your users.

Regards
HJR