Re: Segment management auto clause

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 22:09:29 +1000

Hi (again) Howard,

Comments embedded

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:hNEwa.34616$1s1.503409_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...

> "Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hi Howard,
> >
> > Point taken.
> >
> > But you do admit to having taken to a position rather strongly that "you
> > would be one mad lunatic" if you would ever use ASSM, except with RAC or
> > heavily inserted situations (like you again suggested to the OP) . I
don't
> > ever recalling you mentioning that ASSM may be useful in other
scenarios.

> This isn't a matter of "positions". I'm not defending the Western Front
> here. Either ASSM has overheads, or it doesn't. If it does, then employing
> it without a counter-balancing good excuse (such as free list contention)
> seems awfully daft.
>
> You say there is little or no overhead. I say there is. That's all. And if
> it was just me saying there were overheads, I'd think twice about it. But
it
> isn't. Have a chat with Jonathan, please. In any case: This isn't a
> religious war where one has to cling to beliefs regardless of the workings
> of a rational mind.
>

> > I guess the point I would make is that it may not be so black and white

The above is my position, no religion, no position one way or the other. Note that fence sitting is very good for the posture ....

> Oracle Corporation, in all its objective and thoughtful majesty, is
> currently doing the 'White' rounds. I don't think the white case needs
> making. What is sorely needed is someone who can objectify the reasons why
> it isn't as white as they make it appear. And if that happens to make me
> look like the Arch Advocate of Black, so be it.

Come on, black suits you. Admit it !!

> But in any event, my testing means that I believe employing ASSM would
> require the addition of considerable megabytes of Buffer Cache to
> compensate, the addition of potentially gigabytes of index space to avoid
> the costs of full scans, and a frontal lobotomy to make one believe that
> something that was clearly invented for RAC has any meaningful place in an
> extremely non-RAC situation (I'll buy that a non-RAC, heavy concurrent
small
> inserts, multiple CPUs, might also benefit from it).

See my response to Jonathan's post regarding memory.

Regarding indexes, it take that as the joke it's intended to be.

The rest we've "discussed".

> Incidentally, had it not been for one or other of my esteemed colleagues
> complaining to Oracle about my website, my full set of test results would
> currently be available for inspection and rebuttal. But I can't publish
what
> isn't mine, so if I have to remain silent on the details, it nevertheless
> remains the case that in test after test, ASSM has provided either
> negligible advantage, no advantage whatsoever, or significant
> disadvantage... so I know where I believe the balance to be.

OK, you've really got my interest here !!

What was the complaint ?

I left Oracle right in the middle of all this but my understanding was (and I admit I could be completely wrong) that you published Oracle course materials on your web-site (naughty) and that your writings were based in very large part on the course materials, to the point that the chapters were even identical (naughty). If not, then why the hell should Oracle close down the web-site and what difference would the word of your unfortunate "dobber" make ?

Are you also saying that you can't have a play with Oracle and posting any findings or experiment results here, Oracle won't let you ? Please tell me you're kidding right ?

If so, ever though of leaving ?

There's life after Oracle, I know (and a bloody good one at that !!)

Cheers

Richard Received on Thu May 15 2003 - 07:09:29 CDT