Re: 9i RAC External shared hard disks

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 15:16:53 +0800

Jack wrote:

> Thanks Howard and Connor. I have got 2 Windows 2000 server running on local
> network. Please refer to the following HW config.
>
> machine A
> P3 866G
> 2 * HD with 20G each
> 512M RAM
>
> machine B
> P4 1.8G
> 2 * HD with 80G each
> 1G RAM
>
> After read articles on www.oaktable.net, given 2 PC, RAC can not be
> installed without external shared disk. Then vmware comes into play where
> you can create 2 virtual OSes with virtual shared disks as well, and having
> 2 PC does not bring me any advantage on that. Is my understanding right?
>
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jack" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am planning to install 9i RAC on two test machine. Are external shared
> > > hard disks mandatory? Can one disk on one of the machine act as "shared
> > hard
> > > disks"? Do shared hard disks have to be external? I just want to know if
> > > can make use of the internal IDE disk to test drive RAC on my home PC.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > I might be missing a trick or two (it's been known to happen), but how do
> > you expect the second PC to "see" the other PC's internal drive as though
> it
> > owns it?
> >
> > You mention nothing about O/Ses, so I can't really add much more.
> >
> > Except to say that you don't need two machines to simulate RAC on a home
> PC:
> > check out www.oaktable.net, the files link, and the two articles by
> Harrison
> > Redhouse about how it can all be simulated on a single Windows PC.
> >
> > And if Linux is your thing, the same site has an article by James Morle
> > about how to do the same sort of trickery on a Linux notebook.
> >
> > Regards
> > HJR

Pretty much so. I'm running "RAC" at home on a single desktop as follows:

400Mhz machine (no laughing please)
512M ram
1 x 60G disk - OS, software, normal windows stuff 1 x 120G disk - formatted with Oracle cluster file system

then you pretty much just follow the instructions as per the docs on oaktable.net. As long as you have spare disk space for the cluster file system, you won't need to use VMWare.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"