Re: 9i RAC External shared hard disks

From: Jack <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 06:33:22 GMT

Thanks Howard and Connor. I have got 2 Windows 2000 server running on local network. Please refer to the following HW config.

machine A
P3 866G
2 * HD with 20G each
512M RAM machine B
P4 1.8G
2 * HD with 80G each
1G RAM After read articles on www.oaktable.net, given 2 PC, RAC can not be installed without external shared disk. Then vmware comes into play where you can create 2 virtual OSes with virtual shared disks as well, and having 2 PC does not bring me any advantage on that. Is my understanding right?

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:qaFwa.34630$1s1.503780_at_newsfeeds.bigpond.com...

> "Jack" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am planning to install 9i RAC on two test machine. Are external shared
> > hard disks mandatory? Can one disk on one of the machine act as "shared
> hard
> > disks"? Do shared hard disks have to be external? I just want to know if
> > can make use of the internal IDE disk to test drive RAC on my home PC.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> I might be missing a trick or two (it's been known to happen), but how do
> you expect the second PC to "see" the other PC's internal drive as though
it
> owns it?
>
> You mention nothing about O/Ses, so I can't really add much more.
>
> Except to say that you don't need two machines to simulate RAC on a home
PC:
> check out www.oaktable.net, the files link, and the two articles by
Harrison