Re: Oracle 9iAS + Redhat 9.0

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 15:09:59 +1000

"Bryan Kyle" <no_at_spam.com> wrote in message news:Hvwwa.1415$MW.135008_at_localhost...
> Hi All;
>
> I'm having some difficulty installing Oracle 9iAS on Redhat 9.0. When
> installing it gets through copying but it gives me errors when linking.
> I've tried ignoring them (which is what I did for Oracle 9.2.0.1 and it
> worked), but it doesn't work.
>
> Does anyone have any helpful hints on this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bryan Kyle

Er, it only "works" when you click ignore because you're not using that particular piece of functionality. For example, the CTX... module fails to compile in Red Hat 8.0 at the 86% install mark. Yes, you can click ignore, and create a database and get everything "to work"... just don't try to use Oracle Text functionality afterwards, though! (Fortunately, there's a fix for this one in RH8).

In short, clicking 'ignore' doesn't make everything 'work', but means you've got a problem installing this particular application onto this particular O/S.

And Red Hat 9.0 is apparently an absolute doozy at breaking compatibility with a swarm of applications out there, Oracle just being one of them.

Now there have been a lot of posts here in the last five or so weeks about how a 9i installation actually can be pulled off on a RH9 O/S base, but it sounded to me like complete mayhem, and nobody was being particularly definitive about it. So the net result is, Oracle 9i doesn't actually work on RH9. And as for 9iAS, forget it: that product is an absolute bugger to install at the best of times, and I really wouldn't want to be monkeying around with trying to 'patch' it up, 'fix' it up, or clicking ignore at a rate of knots either.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but you'll have better results with RH8.0, and if this is anything like a production system, you absolutely have to be doing it on Advanced Server and bugger all else, because nothing else is even remotely certified for support, yet.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu May 15 2003 - 00:09:59 CDT