Re: reduce archive logs

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 15:00:36 +1000

"Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:V7uwa.882$Hq4.281260_at_news1.telusplanet.net...
> bcjm wrote:
> > 8.1.6 running Windows NT,
> >
> > We have a intranet site done in Cold Fusion using Oracle 8.1.6 as its
> > data source. The CF client/session variable data (CDATA, CGLOBAL) are
> > stored in the Oracle database as well. CF server updates/insert
> > records in these tables when user access the site. It generates more
> > than 100MB archive log daily. I like to eliminate the logs generated
> > by these two tables if possible to save space and improve performance.
> > I really don't need the data in these tables if I need to restore the
> > database.
> >
> > Setting these table to no archive log does not help since it only
> > works in limited situations like in batch/direct load.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> Can you not recreate or alter the table so there is no logging?
> alter table <tabl> nologging;?

And that will achieve what, precisely?

NOLOGGING only applies to a very small set of SQL commands (you mention direct loads, and that's certainly one that respects that attribute). But it doesn't help our poster, who has already said 'setting to no archive log does not help'.

I guess I'm not clear on what it is you are advising him to do, and when it will help him.

Regards
HJR