Re: Segment management auto clause

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 00:12:40 +1000

"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3EC1096C.2293_at_yahoo.com...

> I've not researched in any great depth, but one thing that does raise
> alarm bells is:
>
> create table X tablespace ASSM;
> insert into X one row;
> set autotrace on statistics
> select * from X;
> 'n' consistent gets (1<n<50-60)
>
> I don't like the idea of "random" dispersal of rows in table
> blocks...maybe I'm just old school :-)
>
> cheers

Hi Connor,

You're so old school that you bring back unpleasant memories of the cane (ouch :)

Load a few more rows in (like as many as you require) and then listen to them bells.

Not saying they won't ring, but maybe it won't be as frequent nor as loud ....

Cheers

Richard

PS, I still haven't forgotten your Canberra comment :) Received on Wed May 14 2003 - 09:12:40 CDT