Re: Concurrency for resources by several instances on one host

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 14 May 2003 00:45:30 -0700

Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:<7cp2cvkm72krh3ajq91286k32oqba1fe7p_at_4ax.com>...

> I just read the documentation and Oracle strongly discourages renicing
> Oracle processes.

As a rule. You can indeed renice the log writer in the smaller database to give it top priority. That should speed up your short-transaction-fast-commit-OLTP-small-database. Assuming that is indeed its nature. But don't renice anything else. There is some stuff about this in Steve's website and a few other places, IIRC.

> limit for CPU use. But no, it should not be done. Even using the
> Solaris Resource Manager must be done carefully to avoid interactions
> with Oracle internal resource management.

Yes.

> What I did today was to set up Consumer Groups and Resource Plans,
> only to ease concurrency *inside* every instance. My main problem
> still persists.

Well, I'd suggest going with HJR's somewhat tongue-in-cheek idea. Instead of trying to load balance two instances in the same box, move everything into one instance and use the resource manager to stop the large data application from killing the OLTP stuff. That is the direction Oracle is going nowadays and it should work in your case. Do some trials first, of course.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Wed May 14 2003 - 02:45:30 CDT