Re: oracle abruptly shut down, now error

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 03:55:19 GMT

Chr2k04 wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Today I accidentally shut the power down to my computer while oracle
> was running. Now that I started it back up again, I can run SQL
> statements from sqlplus, but I cannot run perl scripts accessing the
> database with the error "segmentation fault."
> Is there anything I have to clean up because of the abrupt shutdown?

Hey - right back at you ....

SQLPlus works OK? In all modes (TCP & BEQ)? Then I'd say the database is basically OK & you don't really need to do any more on that side. You might want to check the Alert.log

Since you don't want to mention the Oracle version, the web server, or the OS, I guess we'll have to play 20 questions here.

  1. What is your OS? (Since you say "seg fault", I'd guess Windows version xyz.5) (Since you actually have access to the power button, I'd guess a big PC?)
  2. What version of the database?
  3. Do other perl scripts, not accessing the DB, also run OK?
  4. How do they access the DB - ODBC or other?
  5. Are the perl scripts on the same machine? (I'd guess yes)
  6. What happens when you try to access the database using SQLPlus from another machine?

... others can ask more - these will keep me happy for now. Received on Tue May 13 2003 - 22:55:19 CDT