Re: Transferring a DB to a new platform WITHOUT export/import

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 03:45:34 GMT

Mladen Gogala wrote:

> If you need just the database structure, the best and the fastest thing
> around is DataBee. Their (free) DBATool is a phenomenal thing that can
> extract data structure from an export file created with "ROWS=NO"
> argument. For the Linux fans like me, it runs flawlessly under wine.
> I was able to get all the DDL for a 1.1 TB database with 1500+ tables
> within 30 minutes. And no, I do not work for them. Go and wisit
> http://www.databee.com. You will not regret it.

Since you have experience at this product, would you please do a comparison between this and a plain export without data? You seem pleased with the performance & I'm intrigued whether this is faster than the export equiv for a "no data" request.

Do you have any experience/comments about the completeness of dictionary it provides across versions? Especially handling things like sequences, LOBs and objects/types.

I do understand the benefit of getting a data subset as described on their page. Based on your comments, I may need to investigate applicability in my environment.

Thanks
/Hans Received on Tue May 13 2003 - 22:45:34 CDT