Re: New trend in modern IT consultancy - use your relational database as flat file

From: Mike Sherrill <MSherrill_at_compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 14:34:25 -0400

On 12 May 2003 08:53:44 -0700, pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote:

>It seems to me that this trend starts to
>be very popular in J2EE world. I think one of the main reasons can be
>that this gaves a JAVA guy with no database knowledge feeling that he
>is not ignorant, but very progressive in the world full of relational
>reactionist.

I recently read a <cough> database design idea posted in one of the database newsgroups. The designer was either quoting or paraphrasing a Java developer, whose idea was "Just give me five nullable numeric columns, and I'll figure out what to do with them."

I still have coffee hung in one of my sinus cavities because of that.

--
Mike Sherrill
Information Management Systems