Re: Peoplesoft: Prolific Use of EXISTS and HASH hints

From: W.Breitling <member28455_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 12:04:51 +0000

  1. It is session modifiable, not system modifiable: SQL> alter session set always_semi_join=hash;

Session altered.

SQL> alter system set always_semi_join=hash; alter system set always_semi_join=hash

                                      *

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02096: specified initialization parameter is not modifiable with this option

You could put it in an after logon trigger if you can't bounce the database. It may be better nayways because then you can modify it just for certain sessions - nVision or AppEngine for example. They seem to be most riddled with exists.

b) If Oracle finds a plan for a matching sql in the shared pool it will

   use it. Changing a parameter like this does not invalidate plans. But    as you said, that's unlikely to be an issue.

Originally posted by Ethan Post