Re: SYSTEM tablespace always has to be dictionary managed?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 20:12:58 +1000

Dictionary-managed SYSTEM is still the default in 9i, but you can ask for it to be Locally Managed if you wish. (The Database Creation Assistant however has its own rules: it defaults to creating new databases with a locally managed system tablespace).

If SYSTEM is locally managed, then you *can* have data dictionary tablespaces in the database, but they must pre-exist or be added via transportable tablespace techniques. And they can only be read-only. You can't create new data dictionary-managed tablespaces, whether declared to be read-only or not.

Since dictionary-managed tablespaces are a Very Bad Idea, this is not a major drama.

However, I wouldn't strive very hard to convert a dictionary-managed SYSTEM tablespace into being a locally-managed one. You shouldn't have anything in SYSTEM which is acquiring a bazillion extents like crazy in any case, and therefore the advantages are negligible.

That said, all my databases have LMT SYSTEM, and I'm not exactly suffering as a result, either.

Regards