Re: "pretty Oracle SQL" utility

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:19:21 +0100

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3EC026D6.CDAF87EE_at_exxesolutions.com...
> The problem is one of appearance over substance. I am a firm believer in
formatted code. Have been since I
> first put keyboard to disk. That said formatters encourage sloppy
practices with an expectation that the tool
> will solve the problem. Good code requires structured thinking and the
tool can't produce that.

I don't buy the argument, though I do buy the idea that coding is a logical process.

The current generation of word processors produce better formatted, more attractive documents than vi. I can't believe that anyone seriously considers that we should ditch Word for vi on the grounds that 'it encourages bad writing'. Simlarly modern IDEs and editors aid well formatted, clear and readable code generation. A better tool does not make a better programmer, but I have a hard time believing it makes a worse one.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA