Re: "pretty Oracle SQL" utility

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 12 May 2003 15:14:14 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3EBFBC34.EA7B026E_at_exxesolutions.com>...
> Big30 wrote:
>
> > Check out Formatter Plus from Quest www.quest.com. The tool is included
> > with TOAD and SQL Navigator.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > "Ramkumar Krishnan" <Ramkumar.Krishnan_at_oracle.com> wrote in message
> > > Could you pls point me to an utility that
> > > returns "prettied" SQL given an arbitrary
> > > SQL input (Oracle8i SQL and above would be
> > > great, but if absent, Oraclev7 is fine for
> > > starts). Found this:
> > > www.pickledbeans.com/scripts/Perl/prettysql.txt
> > > from Google, but I got a 404 Error during
> > > access.
> > >
> > > Thank you for your time and response.
> > >
> > > Regds, Ram
> > >

> Norman alluded to it. I can live with it being on the market though I still
> would prefer a world where such tools didn't exist and developers learned
> their trade.

I honestly don't understand this. I see things all the time like two programmers will format their code similarly, yet by using different editors the code doesn't compare correctly with the unix diff command.  I don't see where a tool that eliminates such problems has much to do with developers learning their trade. In fact, I've seen such tools help rapidly integrate the new person into a group, since often different places have different styles. The best is to get everyone to contribute to an agreed set of standards at the beginning, but the reality is people come and go and any manual process is going to have variance.

I was going to direct the OP to one of the lint-like tools out there, but couldn't find one in less than 30 seconds.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  Hey, let's all go in on some Oracle oriented
screen-destroyers for our users: