Re: New trend in modern IT consultancy - use your relational database as flat file

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 21:09:02 GMT

Dusan Bolek wrote:

> <snipped>

> What do you think about this? It seems to me that this trend starts to
> be very popular in J2EE world. I think one of the main reasons can be
> that this gaves a JAVA guy with no database knowledge feeling that he
> is not ignorant, but very progressive in the world full of relational
> reactionist.

Yup. Based on my observations, this is caused from a whole community of developers swinging from MS Access to "more robust ODBC/JDBC data sources like Oracle".

They never cracked a database manual in their lives, everything they learned is from the JDBC manual, and they quickly realized that there is no distributed transaction control so they went out of their way to invent a new one.

Since Java is/was relatively new, a large number of developers saw opportunity to port stuff or otherwise fill percieved holes. Since the number of Java, esp J2EE & EJB, libraries is overwhelming these same programmers simply don't have the time to look at the systems to which they interface. Since they come from the MS Access world, they believe that Access represents the sum and total set of advances in database theory and they feel there are a few things missing in the database world.

(I've actually been told by these programmers the reason Oracle/DB2 exist is because MS has decided to not port Access to unix. And SQL Server was invented by MS to handle advanced functionality such as OLAP services and make backup/recovery easier. Sigh) Received on Mon May 12 2003 - 16:09:02 CDT