Re: Oracle Names config

From: Chuck <chuckh_at_softhome.net>
Date: 12 May 2003 14:24:58 GMT

"David COSTE" <dco_at_compaq.com> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> I would like to have 2 oracle names server
> The 1st one on a linux platform running oracle 8.1.7.3
> The 2nd one a winXP platform running oracle 8.1.7.4
> I'm trying to use the cache replication mechanism to avoid creating a
> region database.
> I set up my names preferred servers to specify my 2 addresses, but
> when I try to discover the names server on which ever machine using
> Net8Assistant it cant't find the server running on the other machine
>
> Has someone already make this config work ? and how ?
>
> Thanks in Advance
>
> David

We have been using Oracle Names for about 3 years with a similar setup to yours - 2 names servers, dynamic discovery, no region database. One thing we discovered is that all names servers should be on the same version, same patch right down to the last digit. If you deviate from this you are asking for problems. The documentation doesn't say anything about this, but OTS has seen the same problems over and over and recommends the same thing.

We also run into problems where Net Assistant can't discover the names servers on one client, while another on the same network segment can. We've attributed it to just another bug in Oracle's code. Our solution is to just copy a working sdns.ora file from another client. Net Assistant may not be able to discover the names servers, but has no problems accessing them once you tell it where they are.

BTW we have never gotten the cache replication to work 100% of the time. Most of the time it does but sometimes it doesn't, especially after a names server crashes. In that case we usually find we can't even restart the server unless we first delete the cache file. When it's restarted you'd think it would resync the caches but usually it does not. Whether it does or not seems to be very inconsistent. If it doesn't we just dump the other server's cache to a tnsnames.ora file and load that into the restarted server. Received on Mon May 12 2003 - 09:24:58 CDT