problems with shutdown immediate

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:47:57 +0100

Morning Tim,

>> why this happened, is because, my unix backup scripts
>> failed, causing the backups to fail. and i am still puzzled why the
>> datafiles are still in backup mode?

I may have missed a few posts in this thread - it happens sometimes, but ....

I presume you are scripting a hot backup, so one of the tasks is to 'alter tablespace xxx begin backup' which will put all the datafiles in that tablespace into backup mode. When you have copied all the datafiles, you then take the tablespace out of backup mode with 'alter tablespace xxx end backup'. If the backup failed and skipped taking the files out of backup mode, that could would be why - I presume.

Maybe, the error trapping in the script isn't quite as robust as it could be, or maybe it is working as designed because the tablespace was not backed up correctly, so remains in backup mode. In any event, while you have a datafile in backup mode, you will get masses of log switches due to complete blocks being written rather that update details.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator