Re: Concurrency for resources by several instances on one host

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 13:09:32 +1000

"Rick Denoire" <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:tobtbvk6h96ii00udf6igv94skg956ovjr_at_4ax.com...
> Hello
>
> I run two instances of Oracle (8.1.7) under Solaris 2.7 on a Sun E3500
> with 4 CPUs.
>
> One of them is a typical OLTP database: frequent, small interactive
> transactions. The second is a huge database where batch data mining
> jobs usually run. At times, the second database requires almost all
> CPU power, specially when several jobs runs at the same time. Parallel
> processing is activated on both DB so there is no "natural" border for
> processing power. Every instance graps as much CPU time as it can. The
> problem arises that the first DB is no more interactive and users
> complain about it being too slow.
>
> I would like to reserve a minimum of resources in order to guarantee
> that the small DB still works fluently even when the second runs a
> number of batch jobs.
>
> There is the possibility of setting resource groups, but this only
> works INSIDE a DB, as far as I know. So how can I avoid one DB
> disturbing the other?
>
> I know that some administrators run dozens of instances on one server,
> so there must be a solution for this problem. I only run two, should
> not be that hard.

Should be, actually. Oracle's recommendation (and never mind the licensing fees) is that there should be one App.-one Database-one Server. Anything else is a compromise.

If the bun-fight is really as bad as you make it sound, then I was idly speculating that consolidating both databases into one, and then going hell-for-leather with Resource Manager might be your best go.

But Oracle would, I think, always advise "buy another machine".

Regards
HJR