Concurrency for resources by several instances on one host

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 22:25:41 +0200

Hello

I run two instances of Oracle (8.1.7) under Solaris 2.7 on a Sun E3500 with 4 CPUs.

One of them is a typical OLTP database: frequent, small interactive transactions. The second is a huge database where batch data mining jobs usually run. At times, the second database requires almost all CPU power, specially when several jobs runs at the same time. Parallel processing is activated on both DB so there is no "natural" border for processing power. Every instance graps as much CPU time as it can. The problem arises that the first DB is no more interactive and users complain about it being too slow.

I would like to reserve a minimum of resources in order to guarantee that the small DB still works fluently even when the second runs a number of batch jobs.

There is the possibility of setting resource groups, but this only works INSIDE a DB, as far as I know. So how can I avoid one DB disturbing the other?

I know that some administrators run dozens of instances on one server, so there must be a solution for this problem. I only run two, should not be that hard.

I would very much appreciate your advice!

Rick Denoire Received on Sun May 11 2003 - 15:25:41 CDT