Re: Pb with Oracle9i on Mandrake 9

From: vincent <nospam_vteyssier_at_nerim.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 18:16:24 +0200

On Sat, 10 May 2003 22:11:04 +0000, Hans Forbrich wrote:

> vincent wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I use Mandrake 9 and trying to install Oracle9i.
>> I followed all pre installation tasks, including a previous installation
>> of binutils (2.10 instead of 2.11).
>> When I execute runInstaller under oracle user I have the following :
>>
>> ./runInstaller: line 58: ./runInstaller: cannot execute binary file

> I'm guessing here - but this reminds me of some Solaris hiccups I ran into
> about 3 yers ago.
>
> If I'm not mistaken runInstaller is a shell script. If so, what is on line
> 58? I'd guess that points to a program (executable) in the install
> directory and that executable is set to not executable.
>
> I just did a complete install from CD (Tech Tracks - pretty reasonable
> price!) with no issues at all.
>
> These 2 items lead me to believe you likely downloaded the Linux tarball and
> untar'd it using tar xvf, right? Which in turn leads me to suspect that the
> entire set of directories is set to a non-Oracle owner and probably has r/o
> permissions.
>
> In which case you might want to recheck the download instructions about the
> tar flags to be used when extracting. Or one very dirty way around this
> then is to chmod -R +x the whole extracted file set. That is real dirty
> though and could open a lot of security holes down the road if the installer
> doesn't go through all permissions properly.

        Yes, I agree with you but I followed all specified flags. Althought I think your suggestion leads me to a clue. When I first downloaded the files, I put them in a fat partition. Then, I untar on this fat partition before moving the entire stuff to a linux native partition and proceed to installation. Sounds a bit messy, I agree. Do you think this could be an explanation ?

Thank you
Vincent