Re: difference between thread based and process based operating systems?

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 00:14:25 GMT

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3EBD68A5.21A9CD53_at_telusplanet.net...
> Ryan wrote:
>
> > Could you recommend a good database theory book? Im familiar with
threads
> > from java and the wait,notify,synchronize interprocess stuff. I know
unix
> > has pthreads which appear to do the same thing and Solaris has a C
interface
> > for Mutex locks that seem to be generic.
> >
> > Im in school, so preferably something academic that they might have in a
> > university library. That way I dont have to pay for it... Im curious
about
> > OS theory.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> My gosh - all the stuff I have is ancient.
>
> If you get right ito it, you will find that a database management system
is
> truly nothing more than a special purpose operating system. 99% of the
classics
> related to operating system design hold true for database theory. Over
the
> years, we've surrounded the database field with a lot of mistique and lot
of
> gobbledy-gook, but under the covers it's really very similar.
>
> A number of the older theory books still hold true. My favorites are
still:

> (database)
> The Theory of Database Concurrency Control - Christos Papadimitriou
> Database Step by Step - Mark L Gillenson
> Database - O'Neil & O'Neil (** exceptional)
>
> (OSs)
> Operating Systems: A Systematic View - William S. Davis
> Modern [sic] Operating Systems - Tanenbaum
> Operating Systems: Design and Implementation - Tanenbaum
> ... the last is the actual design for Minix, one of Linux' predecessors.
>
> However, better than books are the IEEE transactions, any papers by Codd
or CJ
> Date, and any back issues of the (sadly defunct) Database Programming and
Design
> magazine.

Codd papers are probably over my head. Im weak in Math. Had to do a Discrete Math class as a pre-requisite for a masters, but never took Calculus.... Ill check out one of those OS books.

Thanks... Its good background knowledge. Find theory helps me grasp and implement the vendor specific stuff easier. Received on Sat May 10 2003 - 19:14:25 CDT