Re: Dropping Online Log Files

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 10 May 2003 15:13:45 -0700

Chuck Carson <ccarson_No.Spammo_at_echeeba.com> wrote in message news:<3EBD421C.2080808_at_echeeba.com>...
> Connor McDonald wrote:
> > Chuck Carson wrote:
> >
> >>I currently have 5 groups of redo logs and want to reduce this to only
> >>2. How can this be achieved? I am running 9.2.0.1 on Solaris 8.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>CC
> >

> > alter database drop logfile group n;
> >
> > Is there any problem with having 5 ?
> >
> > hth
> > connor
>
> Do I force a log switch first or what is the exact procedure? The reason
> I do not want 5 anymore is that I am going to dedicated logging disks
> and can only spare 8 disks (4 disks with mirrors), thus redo1a & 1b, and
> redo 2a & 2b.
>
> Thanks for the help. I am a sys admin turned DBA so still learning the
> ropes.
>
> -CC

I'd rather have 2 RAID 1/0 sets with 4 redo log groups (2 members per group)
where members a are on one RAID 1/0 set, members b are on the other RAID 1/0 set.

Just wondering,
- how many disks do you have allocated for archived redo? - how large is your redo generation per day?

In regard to your question of
> Do I force a log switch first or what is the exact procedure?

select * from v$log;

You will not be able to drop members (or groups) that have a status of 'ACTIVE' or 'CURRENT'. Switching the logfile can remedy that.

hth,

Paul Received on Sat May 10 2003 - 17:13:45 CDT