Re: difference between thread based and process based operating systems?

From: tingl <all4one_at_one4all.not>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 17:20:53 GMT

"Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:IN3va.45099$g41.4327052_at_news1.east.cox.net...

> "tingl" <all4one_at_one4all.not> wrote in message
> > > Good article. Thanks. So I take it that a process is self contained. A
> > > thread is general 'interleaved' and shares memory correct?
> > >

> > Yes, you are correct.
> >
> > > So if you run a thread in the background in Unix or use a pthread is
it
> > > seperate process? Same as a daemon? Which I believe is just a thread
run
> > > with an '&' at the end correct?
> > >

> > No, we don't say a thread running in the background because it does not
> run
> > independently like a process.
> >
> > > I have a question of how shared server works on unix. If its spawning
> > > seperate process, how does it 'share' since processes seem to be self
> > > contained.
> > >

> > I am not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about Oracle's
> > shared server or MTS?
> >

> i thought MTS got renamed to Shared Server? Or am I confusing that with 9i
> RAC's name in 8i?
>
> Im talking about MTS.

Yes, Shared Server was formerly MTS. What I meant was if you were asking about shared server/MTS. Server processes can be shared even they are not multi-threaded. Oracle's MTS means something completely different from the threading concept we talk about here, despite of its name. Perhaps that's the reason they rename it to shared server. Received on Sat May 10 2003 - 12:20:53 CDT