Re: How to express SQL3/OLAP analysis functions by ORACLE9iR2 DML ?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 22:14:17 -0400

"firegoddess" <dr_zhhl_at_sina.com> wrote in message news:b9fs8o$5ud$1_at_mail.cn99.com...
> hi, all:
>
> SQL3/OLAP have introduced many powerful analysis functions for OLAP,
> such as Ranking, windowing aggregate, LAG/LEAD and etc. Now, they are
> supported by ORACLE9iR2 data warehouses. Meanwhile ORACLE developed
another
> multidimensional query language DML for ORACLE9iR2 multidimensional
analysis
> engine 'analysis workspace'. I am not familiar with DML. My questions is
> that whether the functionality provided by SQL3/OLAP is supported by DML
in
> the way of multdimensional paradigm or not? Especially 'windowing
> aggregate'. and How ?

Usually, DML, ie. data manipulation language, refers to those parts of SQL that allow one to manipulate data: UPDATE, INSERT, SELECT, DELETE. Those parts of SQL that allow one to define the objects in the database are called DDL, ie. data definition language: CREATE, ALTER, DROP etc.

Is this really a new language or just a term you have never encountered before? Received on Fri May 09 2003 - 21:14:17 CDT