Re: Updating SYS.TS$ to help with transportable tablespace

From: Svend Jensen <Svend_SPAMKILL__at_OracleCare.Com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 21:20:11 +0200

Ryan Gaffuri wrote:
> Asked this on ORACLE-L also, but its not a 100% mix between people who
> frequent each and this is an question for me.
>
> BTW, someone on ORACLE-L got rather upset and told me to get my resume
> ready. Dont need that. Not my idea. Not my implementation. Just asking
> about it.
>
> ----------------
>
> My Question:
>
> We are doing this to make our transportable tablespace process
> simpler.
> We import the transported tablespace. Drop the old one. Rename the new
> one.
>
> Anyone else do this? Any pitfuls other than the shock and awe of us
> touching TS$? I know its not supported.
>
> For those of you who hate this idea, they've been doing it since
> before
> I got here. Just looking for outside opinions on this.

The DataDict is only tables and other stuff owned by sys.

So if you know what you are doing, and have testet on non-production excact parrallel system, I can't see any harm by changing the dd. If you are not sure, have a faint doubt, havn't testet, added patch or other changes - let it be. It is not supported. You are on your own.

I havn't updated the ts$, but I once in while update con$.name and tab$.spare1. In the first case to easy rename a pk constraint (missing the statement, alter table rename constraint xxx to yyy or alter table rename primary key to zzz). And in the second case to set correct number of records_per_block on record limited table on large loads and rebuilding/moving table. (fixing an aritmetic bug in 8.1.7).

To quote a known Oracle 'guru': It is OK to update the dd, as long you dont do anything stupid.

Regards

/Svend Jensen Received on Fri May 09 2003 - 14:20:11 CDT