Re: VLDB Question

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 18:06:35 GMT

As you've heard from others, we generally do not consider 2GB to be VLDB (it doesn't even fill a corner of most databases.)

But, possibly in your defense ... I prefer the following (unofficial) definition:

A VLDB is any database whose size causes normal maintenance to exceed the time window allocated for such maintenance.

Caveat - this maintenance window mismatch can not be caused by silly management behaviour (such as requiring this to be the 11th instance on a Pentium 450), improper system admin (such as allowing Windows Update to automatically replace core DLLs) or general insanity (such as allowing users to crowd the maintenance window - because they need the report for management tomorrow)

For the 2G database, I strongly encourage using DBCA for a general purpose DB

/Hans Received on Fri May 09 2003 - 13:06:35 CDT