Re: Updating SYS.TS$ to help with transportable tablespace

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 19:05:50 +0200

"Ryan Gaffuri" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:1efdad5b.0305090635.43501128_at_posting.google.com...
> Asked this on ORACLE-L also, but its not a 100% mix between people who
> frequent each and this is an question for me.
>
> BTW, someone on ORACLE-L got rather upset and told me to get my resume
> ready. Dont need that. Not my idea. Not my implementation. Just asking
> about it.
>
> ----------------
>
> My Question:
>
> We are doing this to make our transportable tablespace process
> simpler.
> We import the transported tablespace. Drop the old one. Rename the new
> one.
>
> Anyone else do this? Any pitfuls other than the shock and awe of us
> touching TS$? I know its not supported.
>
> For those of you who hate this idea, they've been doing it since
> before
> I got here. Just looking for outside opinions on this.

As far as I am concerned there is only one outside opinion possible: what you do is unprofessional and is putting your companies operations at stake. If I would be the manager of your group I would put an end to it immediately. If anyone in your group would screw up a database by doing this his next move would be to the unemployment office. You're not 'helping', you are *hacking* and even worse: you are aware of it.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA