Re: Anybody have experience of online reorg tools ?

From: Neil Cudd <neil_at_cudd.demon.co.uk>
Date: 9 May 2003 06:02:34 -0700

"Jan Gelbrich" <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de> wrote in message news:<b9fjg9$ise8a$1_at_ID-152732.news.dfncis.de>...
> I agree with Connor. Once I did reorg a db, and the only thing that changed
> significantly was 2GB less space requirement.
> Well, at least that ... I could not see any other boosting effects by having
> done it. So I took it as yet another experience.
>
> Jan
>
> "Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Neil Cudd wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm to make recommendations and was wondering if anybody out there has
> > > experience of an online reorg tools and would care to share their
> > > experiences.
> > >
> > > My platform is primarily 9i 64bit on aix 5.1 - SAP systems.
> > >
> > > Any pointers gratefully received.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Neil.
> >
> > I'm curious as to what metric you are intending to improve by
> > re-orging. (I'm not being facetious here, just trying to stress that
> > re-orging isn't worth the effort unless there is a definable and
> > measurable result to the exercise)
> >
> > hth
> > connor
> > --
> > Connor McDonald
> > http://www.oracledba.co.uk
> >
> > "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

I appreciate the sentiments, but I'm managing a large number of SAP systems that will be generating alot of data that will (hopefully) be archived. The exercise is to reclaim disk space (some of the systems are growing by at an alarming rate). I appreciate also that this is an application issue, but it is unlikely that that will be resolved in the short term. Mid to long-term there will be a need to keep these datbases down to manageable sizes.
Regards,
Neil. Received on Fri May 09 2003 - 08:02:34 CDT