Re: Anybody have experience of online reorg tools ?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 15:57:25 +0800

Neil Cudd wrote:

> Hi Jim,
> performance is really not the driver here. Trying to reclaim disk
> space on large systems and apply uniform extent management where it is
> not at the moment.
> Thanks,
> Neil.
>
> "Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com> wrote in message news:<bZDua.539829$Zo.115007_at_sccrnsc03>...
> > Also ask yourself why are you doing this? Measure the performance before
> > and after and see if it really made a difference.
> > Jim
> >
> > --
> > Replace part of the email address: kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
> > with family. Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign. You can figure
> > it out.
> > "Antoine BRUNEL" <antoinebrunel/yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> > > Beginning with 8i, and even mostly with 9i, you are now able to move
> > objects
> > > without altering their availabity:
> > >
> > > alter table XX move....
> > > alter index XXX rebuild ...
> > >
> > > theses SQL can be parallelized (degree X), nologging.
> > >
> > > In 92, there are packages specific for online table reorg.
> > >

> > > "Neil Cudd" <neil_at_cudd.demon.co.uk> a écrit dans le message de

If that's the case it should be relatively easy to whip up some stuff with dbms_redefinition. The only major gotcha is that is only* works in tables with primary keys.

(* - it does work on tables without PK's but its ugly and messy)

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"