Re: Examples of setup for 5TB Oracle DB?

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 8 May 2003 21:25:17 -0700

"Frank Foss" <fozzie_beer_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<b9elak$ii2et$2_at_ID-190416.news.dfncis.de>...

> Have any of the honored group regulars implemented a server /cluster for
> running a 5TB Oracle9i database recently?

No. Largest one I worked with was around 3.5Tb. But that was V8.0 and about three years ago, so maybe some of the stuff may be useful.

> The new customer likes Sun/Solaris, we have more experience with HP/HP-UX.

Sun ES10000 was the one I was using. 32Gb mem, 64 CPUs. It had its moments with CPU stability, but apparently Sun fixed all that.

> I was thinking along the lines of a 4-node Sun Fire V480 4x900MHz CPU, 8GB
> RAM each, connected to some EMC Symmetrix/Clariion system.

That would be my choice too. And use the Veritas FS on the EMC with BCVs: it sounds like a redundancy, but you'll need some of their stuff to make your backups less of a nightmare.

> Running Oracle9i RAC, in a 4 active configuration. (is 3 active/1 standby
> nodes "better")

With RAC you won't need a standby node. They all can be.

> Personally, I think the Dell/Linux/EMC+Oracle RAC 4-node clusters look
> pretty sweet, but I don't really want to jeopardize the contract by
> suggesting it to an important client...

Hey, if they have the moolah and want the iron, who are we to say "no"? ;)

Make sure you look at partitioning tables/indexes, at that sort of size. You want the partition size to match either the daily load size or the weekly load size, depending on the pattern of execution.

Load daily or weekly into fresh partitions. Your performance will not suck.

Make sure you got a strategy in place for getting rid of the older data after 5 years. Partitioning from the word go on date will make it a LOT easier later on to get rid of old stuff.

HTH
Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yaoo.com.au.nospam Received on Thu May 08 2003 - 23:25:17 CDT