Re: Troubles with my first create database

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 13:41:34 -0500

On Thu, 08 May 2003 16:07:01 GMT, "Francesco" <fmarchioniNIENTESPAM_at_libero.it> wrote:

>> You need to make sure that ORACLE_SID is set in the DOS window where you
>> type the create database command before you launch SQL Plus. So, at the
>> command prompt, just type: 'set ORACLE_SID=newdb' (or whatever your new
>> database is to be called), and then 'sqlplus /nolog' and then
>'connect....'
>> and then 'create database....'.
>>
>Hi,
>thanks for your answer. I have tried setting ORACLE_SID =newdb but then
>I have troubles connecting as sysdba...I get ORA-12560 error (TNS: error
>caused by the adaper of the protocol)
>Any clue?
>Thanks
>Francesco

From tahiti.oracle.com:

TNS-12560 TNS:protocol adapter error

Cause: A generic protocol adapter error occurred.

Action: Check addresses used for proper protocol specification. Before reporting this error, look at the error stack and check for lower level transport errors.For further details, turn on tracing and re-execute the operation. Turn off tracing when the operation is complete.

You should have a sqlnet.log file in the directory that was current when you started sqlplus. It will have the other msgs in the error stack. Tahiti.oracle.com will give you a search capablity on the other error messages. But it's going to come down to a mis-match between your TNSNAMES.ora (for the client) and LISTENER.ORA (for the server listener). If you could post the contents of those we could probably nail it. If you do post, be sure to mask ip addresses and domain names so that you don't expose the keys to your system. Received on Thu May 08 2003 - 13:41:34 CDT