Re: Oracle 9i management server and Windows 2000 terminal services

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 8 May 2003 06:29:23 -0700

davepashby.google_at_solmanoz.freeserve.co.uk (pashda) wrote in message news:<334c7316.0305080027.2ab62402_at_posting.google.com>...
> Running 9i rel 2 on Windows 2000 advanced server, sp3.
> I'm the network operator, not the oracle dba!!
>
> When you try to stop the management server service from a client with
> terminal services you dont get the pop up asking you to validate
> username/password to stop the services. As far as I can tell the
> service then hangs in 'stopping' mode. Server reboot to fix!
>
> Is there an alternative way to stop the service, either using some
> oracle management tool or a scripted batch file that includes the
> validation credentials with a "net stop" command?
>
> pashda

The main alternative way is to stop using Microsoft Terminal Services. Oracle uses the BEQueath protocol, which doesn't work under MTS. As MTS is the only product with this problem, Oracle doesn't seem to have the intention to fix it.
Use PCanywhere, VNC, Timbukto Pro, or whatever and you should do OK. Basically having to use Microsoft Terminal Server in conjunction with Oracle results in severe problems on the Oracle side.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu May 08 2003 - 08:29:23 CDT