Re: good sources for tuning info

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 21:47:50 +1000

"Ryan" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message news:2pjua.38320$g41.3339796_at_news1.east.cox.net...

> "Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Greg Teets wrote:

> Tuning. I
> > > >

> > > Why is it unpolular? I thought it was pretty good.
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > Many will people will disagree - but it IS a very good book. I have
> > used it on more than one occasion to save my skin, for example:
> >
> > a) standing on it to reach an item on a high shelf
> > b) getting a BBQ fire started
> > c) an alternative for the dog chewing my socks
> > d) stopping the car from rolling down a hill
> >
> > Make no mistake, there are plenty of uses
> >
> > :-)
> >

> > --
> > =========================
> > Connor McDonald
> > http://www.oracledba.co.uk
> >
> > "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
>
> Conner,
>
> do you know any other good sources for SQL tuning? The books seem to
provide
> the basics, but there are lots of possible cases. Trial and error is very
> time consuming. How is the Burleson Tuning book? Any good sites other than
> the ones I listed? Ive been to your site.

You could search the google archive for the end of March/beginning of April for references to Burleson. You'll see he posted a tuning script from his book as an answer to someone's question. Only problem, it didn't do what he said it would do, except if you're using the most utterly basic data structures.

And that's typical of the quality of his work. It's glib, simplistic, misleading, techinically inaccurate, and not properly researched.

Steer well clear.

Indeed, steer well clear of basically anything published by Oracle Press. They don't vet their stuff very carefully before it hits the street (which is why their 10i book will probably be on the shelves two hours after 10i Release 1 is released).

Thomas Kyte is authorative. Guy's book is practically definitive (as is Thomas Kyte's Expert One on One). But the plain fact is that there are very, very few good tuning books out there, largely because the market has been cornered by the "well-known" authors. If you're busy actually researching the subject, it's hard to find time to write about it. Those who write about it *tend* to be those who don't research it. Kyte, Lewis and Harrison are glorious exceptions to the rule.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu May 08 2003 - 06:47:50 CDT