Re: best practices re: scheduled jobs

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 09:00:05 -0500

On Tue, 6 May 2003 22:54:29 +0100, "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>I think, after reflection, I'd go for the one tool (assuming one OS), my
>candidates being
>
>1. DBMS_JOB
>2. CRON/AT
>3. OEM
>4. A 3rd PARTY TOOL
>
>Naturally we use all 4. Equally naturally the documentation is, um.
>interesting.

And that (documentation) is what got me to rethinking my approach and moving toward cron/at running sql scripts. Seems to me they are a bit more 'self documenting' than dbms_job and compiled procedures -- check crontab to see what is scheduled (regardless of who 'owns' it), and that itself documents the name and location of the scripts.

The portability is not a great issue as the shell script/command file would typically be a single line of 'sqlplus @script_name'. Received on Wed May 07 2003 - 09:00:05 CDT