Re: Oracle Apache - Telnet Problem

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 07 May 2003 18:32:17 +1000

 Simon> I am trying to telnet into my Sun Solaris 8 Oracle server to
 Simon> check out some error in the alert log that Oracle Enterprise
 Simon> Messenger emailed me (it's something about a block corruption
 Simon> error???: ORA-01578?) but cannot connect (session
 Simon> disconnected). Telnet has always worked before.

 Simon> The only change I have made to the system is installing and
 Simon> starting the Apache server which comes with the Oracle
 Simon> distribution. I removed the default port (7777) because the
 Simon> security group hasn't called me back and that number is not
 Simon> open on the firewall. The Apache server now runs on port 23 as  Simon> root.

 Simon> Thanks in advance for your help.

OMG! Simon, you have pretty much screwed yourself from being able to access your server via telnet unless you also reconfigured inted/xinetd to serve telnet on some other port. Telnet normally listens via inetd on port 23.

Stop using telnet and use ssh. If your server has ssh installed you might be able to gain access to it as it listens on a different port (port 22).

What was wrong with port 80 for apache? Its no less secure than port 23.

Talk to your security people and your sys admin (I hope its not you - not meaning to be rude, but I fear you may be out of your depth here).

Good luck

Tim

--
Tim Cross