Re: problems when creating a 9i database

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 6 May 2003 22:58:12 -0700

"Antoine BRUNEL" <antoinebrunel/yahoo.fr> wrote in message news:<3eb84182$0$10244$79c14f64_at_nan-newsreader-03.noos.net>...
> Hi from Paris
>
> The best and efficient way to create a new database, with all versions of
> Oracle, is to use the Database configuration assistant (launched with 'dbca'
> in 9i).
>
> This tools allow to specify which options to include (Jserver, Context,
> ...), and generate the adhoc scripts.

Dude - no way.
"With all versions of Oracle?"
what are you smoking over there?
did you use dbca in 8i?

the dbca in 8.1.6, 8.1.7 did not create locally managed tablespaces. It did not create tempfiles.
it did not lock out accounts.
<feel free to list shortcomings here>

It was useful for throwing something out there to work with (save the files that are created, do not create database at this time), but IMHO, the create scripts required some reworking.

The dbca in 9i was much improved over the 8i model.

As far as your sweeping generalization:
The "best and efficient way" will vary based upon the requirements and environment.

My best and efficient way to create a database (is usually) to clone a database that I've already created. The added bonus there is that cloning counts as a backup/restore/recover exercise.

Did you notice that there is not a character on your keyboard that is like an equals sign, but with 3 lines?

you will find very few tautologies here, except for never type in all caps ...

Paul

it depends ... Received on Wed May 07 2003 - 00:58:12 CDT