Oracle ODBC driver Pre-fetch problem with 8.1.78 Driver

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 09:25:22 +0100

Hi Nick,

Oracle's own ODBC driver for 8i and 9i relaese 2 both use pre-fetch counters, so you pre-fetch a number of rows from all tables and not a buffer size worth of rows. Microsoft's (broken) ODBC driver does it by setting up a buffer to read as many rows into as possible. Are you sure you have the Oracle driver in use ?

The default for Oracle's driver is now (9i) 10 rows, but I've seen it being set to 1 row - which isn't much of a pre-fetch. I'm pretty certain that it all maps down to the OCI attributes for a statement OCI_ATTR_PREFETCH_ROWS and OCI_ATTR_PREFETCH_MEMORY according to whichever ODBC driver you are using. I've not used the 8178 driver myself so I cannot comment on whether it has changed from prefetch rows to a prefetch buffer, however, the 9i one has gone back/stayed at prefetch rows.

The 64000 default you mention is almost 64K, but not quite. 65536 would be 64Kb.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator