Mystery account at install

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 09:18:19 +0100

Graham,

forgive me, but .....

>> create user PO8 identified by <pwd>;

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!
There, I feel better now !

<optionally, quota <something> on <default tablespace>;

Your PO8 user has been created with its default and temporary tablespace set to SYSTEM which is bad for two reasons, only SYS should have SYSTEM as its default tablespace and nobody should have it as their temporary tablespace due to SYSTEM not being temporary.

>> grant all privileges to PO8;

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!
I'm getting to like this :o)

You only grant the privs that are actually required, not everything. So you never 'grant connect, resource to <user>' because it gives them privs you may not want them to have.

Cheers,
Norm.

PS. I've got no idea what privs you need for user PO8 (Personal Oracle 8 ?) because I've never been there, but it certainly is not a user in Personal Oracle 9i which I have installed a few times. Are you sure you are running the correct version of Navigator - if it is looking for PO8 when it was installed with PO9, something must be wrong !

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk