Re: key init parameters for oracle 9i

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 23:01:57 -0700

DM wrote:

> I need help in getting the list of init parameters I should be most
> concerned, and suggested value if possible - for our new database in
> oracle 9i r2 using cost based optimizer. It's a 200 tables db with
> expected 20 small transaction/per min. oltp system
> I read db_block_size for such system be 4k.
> what other paramters should be set?
>
> please guide.
> Thanks
> Dilip

Forget what you read ... it is wrong. Well not wrong. Just not right.

Setting up optimum parameters is not as simple as you seem to assume it to be. It is not a question of set and forget.

Given your database is microscopic and your transaction rate negligible just about anything will work. What I'd want to know before making recommendations is the amount of RAM available and the number of simultaneously connected users.

In general you should set the following parameters at a minimum:

db_name -- absolutely mandatory
control_files -- absolutely mandatory
instance_name
background_dump_dest
core_dump_dest
user_dump_dest
db_cache_size
db_file_multiblock_read_count
open_cursors
java_pool_size
large_pool_size
shared_pool_size
processes

sort_area_size
undo_management
undo_retention
undo_tablespace

Personally I always set many more.

But the fact that you are asking makes me suspect you need to either hire a consultant to help you with the setup and training or get yourself some DBA classes ... soon.

Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and look up these parameters.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu