Re: Are Oracle GUIs causing a decline in DBA salaries?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 2 May 2003 20:07:18 -0500

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, kfarrell_at_belgariad.com wrote:

> Using the command line doesn't make a DBA _more_ skilled than one who
> doesn't.

No, it doesn't. I think the thing people notice with the command line is that they can query everything Oracle will expose to them. With a gui, they are relegated to that which the GUI provides.

But, the more important distinction is that there are outside tools that allow one to be extremely productive with a command-line that can never be duplicated in a GUI, like, scripting. Once you start doing your work by utilizing multiple tools to do it, instead of the one-stop shopping of GUI you sort of never go back...

I try them both and what I find is that I'll use a GUI for a bit and find what I like that I didn't have before and then run over to sqlplus and write the script that gives me the same answer.

--
Galen deForest Boyer