Re: Oracle Install....how to.....IBM AIX 5.1L

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 21:01:40 +0200

Hari Om <hari_om_at_hotmail.com> schreef in berichtnieuws d1d5ebe4.0305020633.b3a690e_at_posting.google.com...
| Hello,
|
| I am using IBM AIX 5.1L for my Oracle DB Server(9.2.0.1)
|
| I have 8 hardisk (hdisk0 - hdisk7) and have at present only 1 Volume
| Group "rootvg" which is using hdisk0. This means I have hdisk1..hdisk7
| still unused. Each hard disk is 36GB.
|
| Now, I wana INSTALL Oracle on this IBM AIX Box. WHat is the BEST and
| RECOMMENDED way to INSTALL this SOFTWARE on the IBM box?
|
| Do I have to create a separate Volume Group (VG) for oracle...?
|
| Here is what I am planning to do:(correctc me if I am wrong)
| 1) Create a Volume Group "orclvg"
| 2) Have this "orclvg" VG use only (say) 2 hard disk...hdisk1 and
| hdisk2
| 3) What parametrs should I set for these PP,LP,PV,LV....?
| 4) I read some document saying that I should install my ORACLE on 2 or
| more different disk such that in an event if one fails you have other
| . So how to do that?
|
| Any related information on this is appreciated.
|
| THANKS!
Read the S.A.M.E. paper that can be found at

    http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/availability/techlisting.html#DS Quest considers SAME to be a myth
(http://www.quest-pipelines.com/newsletter-v3/0302_F.htm).

SAME=stripe and mirror everything. In short: make your 7 disks one stripset (raid 0+1 or 5, whatever). The story in my own simple words (I'am a dba, not a Unix system manager): SAME gives the maximum IO bandwith available. The IO behaviour in an used Oracle database is so complex that everthing is hapening all the time. Making dedicated disks for tables, indexes, redo, archives etc etc. can create bottlenecks and the DBA must spend a lot of time optimizing IO spread.
Personally I am in favour of SAME. But others won't. This thread has the potention to become long.... Received on Fri May 02 2003 - 14:01:40 CDT