Re: Learning Tree Oracle courses.. opinions?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 09:31:10 -0700

NetComrade wrote:

> Has anybody taken Oracle Admin classes from Learning Tree?
> If not, have you heard anything about them?
> We'd like to train a Unix Admin to be a backup DBA, he knows SQL and
> has been working with databases for few years (as a user) and has been
> studying the Oracle Concepts guide.
>
> Here's the course link:
> http://www.learningtree.com/courses/491.htm
>
> I am not entirely sure they can teach much in 5 days, but we can't
> afford to lose a Unix Admin for a month of training.
>
> Also, have you heard anything about other course offerings they have?
> Their charge per course is like $2500, but if we buy a '4-course
> training passport' we might be able to send up to 4 people for various
> training for half the price.
>
> Thanks in advance!
> We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes
> remove NSPAM to email

I am so far not impressed with what they do. And you are quite correct that the amount of knowledge that can be transferred in five days, and survive the weekend is negligible.

I would suggest scheduling some training classes at Oracle Ed or a university if such exists in your area with at least a month between classes. And get this person Oracle on a test machine so that they can practice and receive mentoring help from your current DBA.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu