Re: Problems with dropping datafile in tablespace

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2003 07:52:05 -0500

Comments embedded . . .

On 1 May 2003 12:05:21 -0700, omar_adebisi_at_hotmail.com (Simon Adebisi) wrote:

>jhunter_at_iDevelopment.info (Jeffrey Hunter) wrote in message news:<9dfc69b4.0305010427.1669dee6_at_posting.google.com>...
>> Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote in message news:<n0t1bvkvbap4mstv9afqdnlpcc68na3og6_at_4ax.com>...
>> > After I did the following:
>> >
>> > alter database datafile 'c:\oracle\oradata\db\tools\T1.dbf' offline
>> > drop;
>> >
>> > select file_name, tablespace_name from dba_data_files;
>> >
>> > The datafile that I dropped was still shown as part of the
>> > tablespace. Why is that?
>>
>> Hello Peter:
>>
>> This is a very common question and the truth is (for now), Oracle does
>> not provide an interface for dropping datafiles.
>>
>> I have an article on my website that provides several ways to drop a
>> datafile.
>>
>> http://www.idevelopment.info/data/Oracle/DBA_tips/Database_Administration/DBA_16.shtml
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Regards,
>> -- jeff
>>

>> ============================
>> Jeff Hunter
>> Sr. Database Administrator
>> http://www.iDevelopment.info
>> ============================
>

>Jeff:
>
>When I deleted the datafile, the SCN was affected but I came up with a
>workaround. I restored the file from the recycle bin. Now my question
>is (relating to the workaround), what file editor does Oracle support
>for editting control, redo and data files? It doesn't have to be
>extravagant as I only have to change the header info...

These are binary files. Attempting to modify them with any sort of text editor is a sure way to destroy your database. Don't try to do an end-run around Oracle.

>If you would hurry on the response I would appreciate it since my
>manager is breathing down my neck

Sounds like you need to open a sev-1 TAR with Oracle. Usenet, by its very nature and architecture, is *not* the place to expect fast response. You post your msg to your news server, sometime later it gets replicated to another news server, some time later that server replicates to yet another, and another . . . eventually someone from 12 time-zones away (who had just gone to bed when you posted your urgent message) comes in to the office and reads your msg off his news server. *If* he decides to reply it goes to his news server, where some time later it will be replicated to another news server . . . . eventually finding its way back to your news server.