Programmatically Importing an Oracle Database

From: Peter Lone <plone_at_onebox.com>
Date: 2 May 2003 02:53:23 -0700

I'm not having much luck with this. I've built an application in VB.NET that can use either an Oracle 8i/9i or SQL Server 2000 database as the administrators choice. Now the question is, how can I distribute the Oracle database as part of the Windows Installer server setup?

For SQL Server, I just use SQL-DMO and VBScript - done. For Oracle, I know how to use the IMP and EXP utilities, but is this my only option?  I would prefer to have the import (or some other method of database attachment) to be transparent, without the messy side effects of shelling out.

Can this be done in VBScript, VB or VB.NET without having to shell out and spawn the ugly command prompt window?

Thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:Pete Received on Fri May 02 2003 - 04:53:23 CDT